Saturday 3 December 2011

Linguistics and Language -

 Sphinx - Are we born from two or one? (Philosophy)

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=GnG9P2MidCsC&printsec=frontcover&dq=sphinx&hl=en&ei=RcDaTtmFHJaPsAaQoZCEDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

I still am listening to various lectures by professors online -

I am listening to Linguistics and Literature. So as you know the Sphinx is (two) the body of lion, head of a human. So in this case, does the sphinx represent a profess or way of challenging the plausible notion of whether we come from a Mum and Dad to put it simply, or from one a Mum?

Who do you think we come from and what do you think the Sphinx represents, please comment and if you like do some research on the subject.

Thanks.

Postscript: I am also considering Metalinguistics (which I believe is - Code - or - computer language), I am not sure what Metalinguistics is, but, if it is code, I am interested in it, whilst poetry is considered a message, it is a total different form of writing, I am experimenting with the two.

Postscript II: I also saw the Sphinx in Egypt by my own eye's, when on holiday April 2011, I didn't think much of it then, but I am now glad I went to Egypt, Giza and Cairo.

 Autonomy -

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=wcFGH-zIyGgC&printsec=frontcover&dq=autonomy&hl=en&ei=QMLaTs70FovTsgbYkrDTCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

What is Autonomy -

Basically what is it? Do we have a choice in our actions? Free-will, I came across another Yale Lecturer mentioning Free-will, so I suppose the MIT and Yale like to speak about it, basically, do we have free-will, I briefly scanned the above book but it seemed the best book online available for autonomy, the most pertinent point I read was about Marxist's being more vocal.

Ok, so do you have free-will.

Decide....

Anagram's - (Anagrammist)

So let's look at Anagrams, basically so we have the word -

Noam Chomsky - If we re-arrange the first pre-name we have 'Moan' which could relate to the fact he is a linguist - strange co-incidence, huh?
Tupac Shukar - Now we have Tupac Shakur, if we re-arrange the first pre-name or put it backwards, we have, caput, or kaput, meaning end of or final or finished, so we can associate this with the fact that he was ended at a life of 25, another strange yet bizzare language mystery.

Now we have 'guitar' which could be re-arrange as - 'iratug' is from the word iratus in Medival Latin which comes under poetry and prose which we could associate to creativity.

So the more pertinent point is - that when someone was creating the word 'guitar' they perhaps founded it upon the word iratus, maybe perhaps because they have similar meanings, understand?

OK, let's stop here.

Anagrams have all sorts of associations to something weird and wonderful and we don't know what the words we are actually unscrambling actually mean.

The point I am trying to make is - that if we make our own anagrams or unscramble a word we know, who knows what it means.

This is a sort of - code cracker, perhaps not using metalinguistics, but could be spoken language and a message type of language (poetic).

This deciphering is also known as the title 'Caeser Cipher' which is used for the form I used just now for deciphering it. It has certain variations.

Just an observation by myself, interesting, huh? 

Learnt 3-4 Alphabets in around a Week

I now can read various alphabets, thanks to self-study and commitment...

I will list them....

*Roman Latin
*Hebrew
*Arabic
*Persian (Dari + Farsi)
*Greek (Sentences, Paragraphs)
*Urdu
*Devangari (Hindi)
*Certain Cyrillic Alphabet's (Including Russian) 

*Pashto

You can follow my language learning on LiveMocha...

http://www.livemocha.com/profiles/view/6099902#!info

Do people who speak different lanuages 'think' differently + does language shape the way we think?



These articles both don't support and do support the theory which is argued amongst linguists, I have been wondering about it for a long time and wanted to write a paper and publish it, but didn't think I had the time make that decision. Also my knowledge is not comprehensive enough, so I thought I'd write it on my blog, despite not having many viewers, of course I have not got a PHD in Linguistics, but I am studying the theory of language thanks to intensive self-study from my own knowledge and looking for articles on the internet.

Self-study has been my aid and I have learnt a lot through searching, etc, even before I learnt 4 more alphabets, roughly the time I fully learnt my second and third alphabet to understand, what troubled me was - does language change or shape thought, I even raised it with my friend who is female and an Arabic and English translator a while back.

Basically after understanding more than 4 languages comprehensively and understanding approx 9 languages non-comprehensively and writing poetry, short stories and language non-fiction and fiction - it got me thinking.

I would really like to write a paper on it but just researched it today basically I would say it does, mainly because every language has it's own sayings based on its syntax and structure and the language itself is used to say sayings (if that makes sense), I would say that English has sayings that you create or have for a long time (I can't think of any now), I have recently learnt many writing systems and also learnt being formidable with syntax of a writing system in order to create poetry, I find as I learn more from different languages, my poetry improves and becomes more fluid in one of my native languages - English.

Dari and English sayings are all around me - thanks, to my parents, my work and my country I live in England - but I would say it doesn't only shape thought, if you are multi-lingual or tri-lingual or polyglot, would you understand something someone else doesn't? Or would you be thinking a different way than someone else does. I would say writing systems affect judgement and shape thought too, so for instance if all you can read is the Latin alphabet and cannot read Farsi until the age of 23, you will not understand an entire race or culture and will not understand the way of thinking of an entire culture (in literature or written message).

I have seen and witnessed the difference in language and how it has changed judgement based on it's syntax and strongly believe it changes thought, but to what extent I'm not sure, as it has been dismissed sometimes by professors, it is an interestin concept.

I write multi-lingual books all the time for the past year and as my skill improves so does my way of thinking, especially my openness and clarity of cultures from literature, I am even finding out about ancient languages, such as Greek, Hebrew and soon I will be learning hieroglyphics.

Language is so broad, even vocabulary would shape thought too - think about it after all, someone who has vocabulary in several languages can construct versatile conversations and shape a different sentence not limiting them to one language thus making them limited and shaped to one language, there are more complex examples but I think it would be unwise to go into them.

Even it has been said that someone who speaks German can indeed construct a better English sentence because of the similarities of the language and knowing an extension of the language, strange I kwow but feasible and possible.

Although there are debates about German's similarities to English I think you get my point.

Even simplicity in a language may affect the fact we become simple ourselves, elementry I know, but it is possible, basically from knowing less of the language or knowing a less complex language we can be assumed as a simple yet basic knowledge of writing.

Although I totally dismiss this as some of the greatest minds know the simplest languages.

After all Steven Hawking speaks English and is considered the greatest brain of this date, but doesn't neccessarily mean because he speaks English a simple alphabet and no gender in the language he would be stupid, but I do believe it changes thought and shapes thought.

Of course it is said that with intelligence the more languages you know the more intelligent you are, which is not necessarily the case, it only makes you more versatile. If you understand what I mean. It could make you more open, although it is debateable.

As I have written different language poetry, I have noticed that the grammatical systems have to change each time, which could affect judgement on a basis of psychology. This is completely unclear, although I believe it does.

As I learrn different languages - one thing is clear, with the written systems, now that I can read many writing systems I have improved slowly my reading of various languages and adapted a new type of understanding 'cryptography', my success to uncode and find out new alphabet codes has increased in speed and become more easy to uncrack as a result of language learning, indeed it is a skill not to take in vain, deciphering alphabets (which you could consider it as) has a strong affect on metalinguistic thinking and understanding of code deciphering mainly ciphering.

It could be the written word, because language is written.

My understanding of computers before hand has only increased this affect of 'cryptography' of writing systems and it seems only natural that this is occuring, now with various writing systems and programming languages as well, the syntax can be adjusted or codes created with the most difficult cryptography attempt there can be and an almost powerful spectrum of knowledge - languages, written and spoken.

I think it is indeed true that judgement is affected by languages and even how many you know - the limits are endless, knowing 13 languages in Roman Latin alphabet may be less impressive though than knowing 13 languages in 12 different alphabets for obvious reasons - the difficulty.

As I think writing systems affect attitudes and perception and judgement I would say learn as many as possible, you may not know what you are reading one day and know it the next day, I would highly suggest you do learn many writing systems and as many spoken languages as possible, although don't stick to one writing system - challenge yourself and think in two, maybe four, you might now know what you uncover.

Mohammad Nashir 

Neologism 

I feel I have a skill with word play - i.e. Neologism, due to my health reasons which I won't mention so, Neologism is common for these individuals and I believe I am one of them, Daniel Tammet is an example of this happening in real life, although strangely I developed this skill later in life and advanced it due to my motivation, I imagine without my motivation I wouldn't of came to the level I am now with language.

No comments:

Post a Comment