Thursday 15 December 2011

Plumbing

Working with a Plumber -

http://www.therestorationresource.com/index.php?dir=site&page=articles&op=item&cs=353
http://www.diynetwork.com/plumbing/10-things-you-must-know-plumbing-leaks/pictures/index.html 
http://annarbor.com/home-garden/5-things-every-homeowner-must-know-when-working-with-a-plumber/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plumbing

I don't know anything more than the absolute elementry, or absolute basics, or maybe perhaps nothing about Plumbing until I took an interest in this today due to a leak in my house.

Basically when working with a plumber - you should always read your contract, not that I had a bad experience, but it is worth bearing in mind.

The history of plumbing goes back to the Latin word for lead, plumbum which means plumbing. Plumbing was extremely rare until the 19th century, I'm sure you know the Roman's had aqueducts as you can see in Italy, Rome, if you go there.

Plumbing originated from the ancient civilisations - Greek, Roman, Persian, Indian.

Much plumbing work in populated area's is regulated by the government, I am not an expert on the subject but if you look oh so carefully, in populated areas you can turn to private plumbers too.

Everything is regulated by the (HAP) Health Aspects of Plumbing, published jointly by the World Health Organization (WHO). 

Some areas of plumbing are...

  • Active fire protection
  • Coupling (piping)
  • Double-walled pipe
  • Elbow (piping)
  • Heat pipe
  • Nipple (plumbing)
  • Passive fire protection
  • Pipe cap
  • Pipe fitting
  • Piping
  • Piping and plumbing fittings
  • Plastic pipework
  • Plumbing & Drainage Institute
  • Street elbow
  • Trap (plumbing)
  • Trap primer
  • Union (plumbing)
  • Valve
  • Victaulic
  • Water pipe
Plumbing Drawing - A technical drawing that shows the system of piping for fresh water into the building and waste going out, both solid and liquid.

Below I will give a URL of a good website for general tips on the jargon used and how to fix your home, I imagine you can find your own through a search engine too.

I have listed two websites which will give you a general idea, Plumbing is you must know by now, a comprehensive field and I imagine if you fiddle with circuitry in a computer and damage it you will need to buy a new circuit or talk to a professional, same may go for a Pipe, but as its your home, I would rather talk to a professional, do it yourself if you feel absolutely confident or you have no alternatve is my motto. 

I have fiddled with circuitry before and made a big mess of it because I didn't know what I was doing, perhaps if you are really interested a plumbing course is for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment